Willian Bowls Club was founded in 1919 with a 3-rink green located at “The Fox Inn” in Willian village near Letchworth Garden City. It was originally a “men-only” Club and played friendly and Hertfordshire Club League matches against other local Clubs.
Apart from a break of about 3 years at the start of World War II, the Club continued at “The Fox Inn” as its green headquarters until 1971 when the brewery decided to use the land occupied by the green to extend the pub and its car park and asked the Club to find somewhere new.
For some three years, the club played away matches only until a new six-rink public bowling green was laid on Norton Common, Letchworth Garden City, by Letchworth Urban District Council in time for the start of the 1975 season. The Club has remained on the lower green on Norton Common since then. We share the green with North Herts Bowls Club.
The Club joined the Village League (fore-runner of the Dixon’s Mixed League, and later, The Stevenage and District Mixed League) as founder members in 1982.The Club also plays in the North Herts Division of the Hertfordshire Men’s League and in the newly-formed Hitchin Triples League.
The Club only started to admit ladies and became a mixed Club in the early 1980s.